Tuesday, December 06, 2011

How Not to Run a Sub 4-Hour Marathon - White Rock 2006


How Not to Run a Sub 4-Hour Marathon
(Marathon Running For Dummies)
By Patrick Fariss

Start with a 206 lb. frame (your knees, ankles, and joints will surely love the 26.2 mile continuous pounding from a Rotund Runner. As you are setting your “Goal Time” (in this case 3:50:00), remember that banking time is a perfect way to collapse at mile 19.

Mile 1 – (9:09) Avoid the chaos of confetti and deliberate runners who are doing this at a
                        moderate pace and because the find it pleasurable.

Mile 2 – (8:44) Beginning to increase pace. After not thinking about the marathon too
(17:53) much beforehand, or remembering the trials and tribulations of
Oklahoma City, I now begin to realize what I have gotten myself into.

Mile 3 – (8:00) Fastest mile of entire race. There is no stopping me. Besides the fact that I
(25:54) am going downhill, I have broken into what might be called a sprint, and I
have now made the decision that today I will attempt to qualify for
Boston on this very day.

Mile 4 – (8:40) Maybe qualifying for Boston and running a 3:15 was a little
(34:34) unreasonable…I have now left my partner who decided it was time to sit 
down and remove his warm up bottoms, and I will now run the next 22
miles in solitude.

Mile 5 – (8:26) My mile times are more inconsistent than John Kerry on the campaign
              (43:01) trail.

Mile 6 – (8:32) Settling in on pace. The annoying pain in my left foot that has plagued
(51:33) me during my training has once again reared its ugly head. I am 
beginning to wonder if the professor will catch up.

Mile 7 – (8:35) Nearing the peak of what has been a “gradual hill” spanning the last 3
         (1:00:00) miles. Not recalling the professor’s admonitions to slow down, I am very  
pleased by covering 7 miles in the first hour. I believe (very incorrectly)
that have “banked” a great deal of time which I believe will help me (I am 
very sadly mistaken, as future miles will indicate).

Mile 8 – (8:24) Approaching the infamous White Rock Lake. It seems more like a pond
         (1:08:32) at this point, and I scoff at such a unworthy foe. It will be nice to enjoy
the fresh air and scenery during this brief trip around a small body of
water.

Mile 9 – (8:19) Gaining speed as I have the Lake in my sights. Should be a pleasant run.
         (1:16:52)

Mile 10 – (8:47) Slowing down to enjoy the White Rock scenery. (Could be realizing that
           (1:25:40)  I might possibly have been going to fast. Realigning goal of Boston  
   qualifying, we’ll shoot for 3:30 instead).

Mile 11 – (8:53) Lake a little bigger than first thought. With 15 miles still to go, I may
           (1:34:34)  need to slow down a tad. Becoming very chilly. Would not be surprised
   to see some lake effect snow.

Mile 12 – (8:51) Approaching half way point. Half marathon not sounding quite so bad.
           (1:43:25)  If the rumors are correct and this is a 10 trip around the lake, this is not
   going to be as pleasant as first imagined.

Mile 13 – (8:42) 5 more miles around this cursed lake?! I could use some levity from the
           (1:52:08) professor at this point.

Mile 14 – (8:57) Lakes are for sailing and fishing—NOT RUNNING AROUND. 
           (2:01:06)  Slowing considerably because this is not fun anymore.

Mile 15 – (9:00) The return of the 9 minute mile. It is survival from here on.
           (2:10:06)

Mile 16 – (9:17) Let the walking through aid stations begin!
           (2:19:23)

Mile 17 – (9:26) Hungry, Thirsty, Tired, Cold, and needing to find a restroom.
           (2:28:50)

Mile 18 – (9:52) 10 minute miles just around the corner. Old man in golf cart asking if I
           (2:38:42)   am in need of assistance. I am not quite as fond of this lake as when I
    first began. My overconfidence and arrogance is appearing very foolish
    (as was my paying money to experience such an ordeal).

Mile 19 – (9:39) End of the lake very near. Cannot come soon enough. Aid stations are
           (2:48:22) becoming leisurely strolls. Recalculating goals of finishing times.
    Beginning to miss the professor a little. May be becoming delusional.

Mile 20 – (10:11) First of the 10 minute miles. With 6 miles to go, it is the opposite of
             (2:58:34) pleasant. Feet hurt, blisters mounting. The hill, which includes an
     illegally high grade for any vehicle, I encounter next is not so bad as
     the gradual incline that will haunt me for the next 2-3 miles.

Mile 21 – (10:12) At least I am consistent in my 10 minute mile pace. 3 hour, 50 minute
             (3:08:46) marathon slipping away. Now just hoping that by sure will I can make
     it under 4 hours. Twill not be an easy task.





Mile 22 – (9:47)  After a burst of energy (or sheer luck) I am regaining speed. Still asking
           (3:18:34) myself how I am going to finish the remaining 4 miles. Beginning to
    feel the hamstring cramps coming. Wondering when Coach Giddings
    will blow past me. I should have listened when he said, “Slow Down
    you Junior College knucklehead!” (edited for a G-rating).

Mile 23 – (10:26) It is a slow and arduous task, and with each small stride, I am asking
             (3:29:00) why race officials would allow an 200 lb. ox to entertain the thought of
     this race. It should be considered criminal negligence.

Mile 24 – (10:13) Cramping, grimacing, and in obvious pain.
             (3:39:13)

Mile 25 – (8:18)  Realizing that I am about to finish with an embarrassing time, I quickly
           (3:47:32) speed up my pace. (I believe there could also have been a wind at my
    back and the mile marker could be misplaced.) The 4 hour pace-setter
    catches me and I use every ounce of energy to keep up. Apparently, she
    seems to be sprinting (as does everyone else around me), and she
    encourages us only 2 miles to go. 

Mile 26 – (10:56) Quite possibly the slowest mile of my life. This is the result of trying to
             (3:58:26) “bank” time at the onset. Cramps are on the horizon with every step
     and I am pleading for them not to set in. One would assume that I
     walked much of this mile, but this is not the case. There was no
     walking involved, and this is the price one pays for trying to run a
     sprint instead of a marathon.

The .2 – (1:51)                  I see the 4 hour girl in ahead in the distance, but try as I may, there is no
         (4:00:15 catching her. She is only a mirage in the distance. As I hit the 100 yd.
    mark, I am in a dead sprint (meaning I am dead, but I still try to sprint),
    but it is of no use. I see the clock roll into the 4:00:00 as I hit the 50
    yard mark, and cross the line in an unthinkable time of 4:00:15. How a
    person cannot salvage 15 seconds I do not understand. In an attempt to  
    justify my lackluster performance, I am using this race as an
    opportunity to provide motivation and incentive for the April 27, 2007,
    Oklahoma City race. While I finished the race in just enough time to
    avoid the rain, I had seen enough water (the cursed lake) for one day,
    and I hobbled to my car. A learning experience, but a very difficult race.




No comments: