2008 Oklahoma City Marathon Recap
The following is a
commentary of the ups and downs of the 2008 Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.
Also included are my splits and the justification/explanation of each wet and
windy mile. There were a number of things that made this marathon memorable,
the least of which was taking off 10 minutes from my previous best time and
running a sub 3:50 marathon.
What made this a
memorable event was the fact that it was truly a family affair. Both my parents
have trained very diligently for the past 4 months to walk the half-marathon. I
am not quite sure what other 60 year-old couples were doing on Sunday, April
27, but the example of goal-setting, and perseverance to each person.
Other than my parents,
my wife, sister-in-law, brother and sister, also were participants. To have 7
people involved in a marathon, half-marathon or 5K is either an example of
accomplishment or incredible insanity. I will let you be the judge.
Waking up at 3:50 in the
morning for any reason is red-flag that one has lost his common sense, and
rising this early to prepare to run 26 miles is surely a reason for one to
receive professional help.
Having completed this
marathon (running and walking the last 6 miles) in a disappointing performance,
a number of questions and doubts were present. The surprising relative success
of this race has led to bouts of lunacy in which I have begun to seek to run at
an even faster pace and continue to participate in an event that I do not
innately enjoy.
Congratulations to the whole family
on a job well done!
I hope the following is enlightening
and entertaining!
|
Mile
|
|
Time
|
|
Comment
|
|
Mile
|
|
Time
|
|
Comment
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
1
|
|
8.24.14
|
|
Good 1st mile once we finally
reached the start (took about 10 minutes after the gun). Drinking water and
Gatorade since 3:50 a.m. beginning to catch up to me.
|
|
14
|
|
8.50.81
|
|
Made the turn at Lake Hefner and
now will have the wind at my back for at least the next 3-4 miles. (the only
way a large runner like me will have a chance.
|
|
2
|
|
9.44.73
|
|
No mile marker! I know I am not
moving at this slow of a pace, and after almost 10 minutes, I give
up looking for mile marker #2. Still needing a restroom.
|
|
15
|
|
8.48.31
|
|
Good pace. Thankfully, the
Hurricane force winds are at my back. Sun has come out and temp. is about
50 degrees. Only thing missing is a cynical professor and college basketball
coach to provide some commentary.
|
|
3
|
|
8.03.59
|
|
Thinking I am going slower (b/c no
mile marker at Mile 2), I get behind a Kenyan and speed up to get back on
track. Realizing that I am going to need a restroom before the finish. (I am
not this fast, please realize that anything faster than 8:15 mile
pace only means that there are Gale Force Winds at my back.
|
|
16
|
|
8.40.01
|
|
Finishing up our time at the Lake.
Still feeling good, despite knowing the Big Hill at Mile 17. No sign of
cramps and feeling good. At this point, I realize that running the White Rock
Marathon 4 months earlier was actually the best thing I could do for my
training.
|
|
4
|
|
8.36.53
|
|
Still feeling good. Sprinkling
and windy, but overall good conditions. Trying to use some strategery to find
a restroom without waiting in line.
|
|
17
|
|
8.51.52
|
|
Hill was not as imposing nor as
difficult as I remember. Trying to get to mile 20 at 3 hours to give myself a
chance.
|
|
5
|
|
8.17.94
|
|
Must be going down a hill to be
this fast.
|
|
18
|
|
9.02.51
|
|
A little fatigue has set in so pace
slowed slightly. Incredibly long stretch coming from mile 19 to 23 which I
walked a great deal of last year. Doing anything for 3 straight hours becomes
monotonous, and after 3 hours of running, the only thing to do is keep
putting one food in front of the other.
|
|
6
|
|
8.29.78
|
|
Wishing I had Coach G (or at least
his Garmin Gizmo to tell me some semblance of a pace).
|
|
19
|
|
8.42.62
|
|
Back on pace. Found a guy in front
of me to keep up with and pace me (a GPS Garmin or Greg Giddings would be
extremely beneficial).
|
|
7
|
|
8.30.62
|
|
Restroom urge has not subsided.
Rain has begun to let up. Still cool conditions.
|
|
20
|
|
8.35.73
|
|
Wanting this to be over. Still, not
in as much pain or discomfort compared to prior marathons. No signs of
cramps. Gu and Blocks have been well utilized.
|
|
8
|
|
8.37.05
|
|
Hour #2. Wondering why someone
would drive 150 miles (with gas @ $3.50) to get up at 3:50 a.m. and run 26.2
miles. Trying to get to mile 10 or 11 for Port-a-potty.
|
|
21
|
|
8.46.37
|
|
Will be extrememly difficult to
keep this pace for the next 6 miles.
|
|
9
|
|
9.05.26
|
|
Giddings-like pace not acceptable
here when trying to run a 3:50.
|
|
22
|
|
9.07.90
|
|
Tired of Running! I remember
finishing up our conditioning at MSU and I vowed I was not a runner and would
never run again if I didn't have to. Oh to have a Dr. Pepper in my hands
sitting down to some chips and salsa.
|
|
10
|
|
8.35.24
|
|
Back to a Daniel Green-like pace
(actually Daniel is probably close to the finish line at this point due to
his running prowess). Enjoyed catching up to my sister and visiting for a few
minutes. Will be at a restroom next mile - no choice.
|
|
23
|
|
8.53.07
|
|
Running a little faster just to get
it over with. Still not hurting as much as in the past. (That probably means
I have not been running fast enough).
|
|
11
|
|
10.01.51
|
|
After waiting in line for 1 minute
for the portapotty, feeling much better. Knowing some time will have to be
made up.
|
|
24
|
|
8.50.24
|
|
Turned the corner and now into the
neighborhoods. Have cramped here in the past, and last year at this time, I
was on a slow walk through past these houses.
|
|
12
|
|
8.18.54
|
|
Making up a few seconds.
|
|
25
|
|
8.51.35
|
|
Realizing I have a chance at 3:50.
|
|
13
|
|
8.38.09
|
|
Pretty Good pace. Approaching Lake
Hefner. Stiff wind in my face for the first half of a mile, but hoping it
will be at my back at least for awhile.
|
|
26
|
|
8.19.84
|
|
Picking up the pace. Turning the
corner, and hearing "Just 6 More Blocks" does not make one feel any
more comfortable. Since we started 10 minutes after the Gun, I can see the 4
hour clock ticking and I decide to give what little I have left and finish
under 4.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Half
(13.1)
|
|
1.54.19
|
|
At the half-way point, I am
cautiously optimistic. And according to Coach G, a half is not 13.1 but 20
miles, since the last 6 will be the 2nd half. Daniel Green who is a far
better runner than myself is probably on his way back to Wichita
Falls right now. Coach Giddings just finished his Dissertation so I know I
can count on him this time next year.
|
|
Full (26.2)
|
3.49.25
|
|
Not sure if it was the winds at my
back for 75% of the time, or the fact that I put in a week of 45 mile week
earlier in my training, but no cramps and a smile on my face as I came across
the finish line. I was actually able to greet my wife. The worst part about
reaching this goal is that is has caused me to ask how I could shave more
time, and repeat this nonsense in the future.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Patrick Fariss
Pre-AP Algebra I/ Pre-Algebra
CMS West
214-496-8765
No comments:
Post a Comment