Tuesday, December 06, 2011

2007 Dallas White Rock Marathon Recap


Dallas WhiteRock Marathon 2007 Recap

The following is a commentary of the ups and downs of the 2007 WhiteRock Marathon. Also included are our splits (Giddings and I were together for the first 16 miles) and the justification/explanation of each cold, wet mile. Having finished in a somewhat respectable time (for a 200 lb. behemoth), I will also offer some possible explanations.

To begin, we were fortunate that the rain we encountered on I-635 at 6 a.m. avoided the course of our race, otherwise we would have been MISERABLE! We did endure some cool/cold temps but nothing too extreme, and by the end of the race my clothes were soaked from the on/off drizzle, sprinkles, lake-effect snow, etc. While not perfect our conditions could have been much worse!

Since I am not privy to the luxuries of a technologically savvy time piece that will do everything but run the race, I have relied on my trusty Walmart watch and have manually entered my times into a word document.

Having run the last 2 marathons in post-4 hour times, I was determined not to try to “bank” time by running too fast at the beginning and saving something for the last 6 miles (I use the term “Run” loosely since the last 6 miles of each was a cramping and walking debacle).

SPLITS

Mile                            Time                            Comment

1                            9:21:05              tarting slow, and telling Giddings to slow down!
2                            8:54:38              A little quicker. Coach G’s gizmo is our guiding light…
3                            8:18:93              Down a big hill. Still telling Coach G to SLOW DOWN!
4                            9:17:47              Starting to get comfortable. Still running with sleeves and a pancho
5                            8:50:49              Not a bad pace—I just know what lies ahead in about 15 miles…
6                            9:01:02              Giddings GPS Gizmo is giving feedback as well as real-time stock quotes…
7                            8:38:52              About to jump on the Professor’s back as he likes to speed up…
8                            8:34:53              Still too fast! Banking time does NOT work as I have tried the last 2 marathons!
9                            8:46:78              Just about right…
10                            8:59:69              Approaching Lake Superior and concerned about the chance
of Lake-effect snow…
11                            9:01:06              Lake looks familiar. One of coach G’s wisest moves was to run around it about
                                                        5 weeks earlier…Brilliant!
12                            9:09:42              Coach G refuses to look to his right at the body of water and tries to convince
                                                        Himself that it is not there. He is still wearing 2 watches as we have yet to
                                                        Encounter Daniel.  We believe he is close to the finish line and depositing his
                                                        $10,000 prize winnings
13                            8:58:06              Lake still there—Giddings still denying its existence. Half way point! So far
                                                        So good. Feeling much better than this point last year. Still wearing pancho,
                                                        Long sleeve shirt, gloves, and ear-warmers. Good weather, few sprinkles.
                                                        Good pace. GPS Gizmo continues to update us on pace as well as latest Iowa
caucus results
14                            8:56:36              Encouraging the professor to enjoy the beautiful lake scenery. He still denies it.
15                            9:09:63              Just passed by a barefoot guy on the phone…
16                            9:21:03              Little slower pace. The professor has abandoned me to use the restroom so it
                                                        Looks like it is me and my Walmart watch from here on out. No more GPS
                                                        Gizmo. No more ESPN highlights from last night’s games….
17                            9:18:92              Slowing down to save myself for miles 20-26.
18                            9:37:23              Leaving the lake. It did not have the same effect on me that it did last
                                                        Year. There is still something left in my tank for the next hour of running.
                                                        Approaching the infamous hills that have been on the professor’s mind since
                                                        Early October. Thanks to the professor and his articles, a new strategy seems to
Be helping. Many runners are walking, hurting, cramping, etc, but since learning
About the effects of Teleoanticipation, I am focused on a very efficient runner
In front of me and following in his footsteps, not looking to the left or right to
Recognize the ailing runners or cramping muscles.
19                            9:21:63              Still working to complete the hills and moving faster than many around me.
                                                        My goal is to not walk and so far I am on track. I am still behind my runner
                                                        And he does not realize how beneficial he is.
20                            9:41:78              Last of the hills! Still not walking but realizing the next hour will be difficult.
21                            9:33:28              End of the hills and I have just passed my model runner who has helped me
                                                        So much so far. He is no GPS Gizmo,  but I am appreciative nonetheless.
22                            9:34:24              Just watched the 4 hr. pacer pass me. A younger and less experienced Patrick
                                                        Would have tried to keep up with her and died about mile 25. I have chosen
                                                        To keep my pace and continue my strategy. Slight twinge of a cramp in my
                                                        Left hamstring, but I am continuing to find runners in front of me running with
                                                        Good form and ease.
23                            9:33: 08              Goo and Oranges are keeping me going. It’s been 23 miles with my trusty
                                                        Pancho and long sleeve shirt, but it has come time for me to leave these rain-
                                                        Soaked articles behind and gut-out the last 3 miles.
24                            9:44:84              Slow mile. Wondering if I have a chance for 4 hours. It will be close!
25                            8:53:29              Time to pick up the pace. Feeling quite good in preparation for the last 2 miles.
                                                        Determined not to acknowledge those who have cramped or are walking.
                                                        I’m hoping the professor is feeling as good as I do, and wondering if Daniel is
                                                        Back in Wichita Falls already. A little chilly running through downtown Dallas,
                                                        But we have been fortunate the deluge has been avoided. I have overtaken the
                                                        4 hour balloon and a sub-4 hour race is in view…
26                            8:07: 58              With no GPS Gizmo to tell me I am going too fast, I have now begun my
                                                        Steve Prefontaine-like kick towards the finish line.
.2                            1:49:33              The last .2 finds me in higher spirits than any of my previous 3 marathons.
                                                        No cramps! No walking! It has as successful a race as one could have hoped for.
                                                        This may have not been possible without the aid of Coach G’s Satellite tracking
                                                        System which, if nothing else, has  provided a little levity over the past 4 hours.
                                                       

Total                            3:58:34







Credits
While I cannot point to one specific thing that I have done differently, there are a number of factors that have played a part in return to sub-4 hour status.
1.      Stating the obvious, I did more running. I upped my training from 3 days a week under the old program to at least 4 days a week under the Patrick Fariss modified version.
2.      I trained OUTSIDE. For the last 2 races, I did a great deal of running on a treadmill. This time I did almost all of my running outdoors and incorporated large hills. Up at 4:45 a.m. was not an easy thing to do 3-4 times a week, but it was instrumental in developing the right mindset.
3.      Carb-loading. I was diligent and disciplined in the 7-10 days before the race.
4.      Taper. I cut back my running the last 2 weeks which I was always afraid of doing.
5.      NOT GOING TO THE DOCTOR. With the onset of a sinus infection/cold, I avoided going to the doctor which could have been a mistake. However, avoiding antibiotics may have helped me avoid the cramps that like to accompany me during the last 6 miles.
6.      TELEOANTICIPATION! Thanks to the article from Coach G (one that was not propaganda produced by the NYT), I was able to take my mind off of running by performing numerical operations on the house numbers as I ran. Also,  for the first time, I would not allow myself to look at those people who were cramping, walking, or running in pain or with bad form. Instead, I made a conscious decision to watch on those people who had good form and were running with ease. Even though it seems like a silly idea, I believe that not allowing my mind to focus on these negative issues, allowed me to run with relatively little pain.
7.      Lastly, SLOW DOWN!!! A wise man once delivered this mantra to me for 17 miles and it paid off. This time, the roles were reversed. I made up my mind to start slow and continue slow during the first 20 miles so I would have something left at the end.


Overall, it was a positive and enjoyable experience. The professor filled our first two hours with levity, and despite my pejorative comments about his hi-tech gadget, it was quite a useful tool. I am also glad the professor was able to find his way to the finish line after making a wrong turn somewhere between miles 19 and 26. Thankfully, he was in good enough shape to turn around and find his way back to the original course. My recommendations for next year will be to mark the course better so that individuals are less likely to become lost or discombobulated. I was less sore after this race than any other, and with Austin right around the corner (2/17/08), I can take this week off and start some light runs on Saturday. Hope you enjoyed our recap and we’ll see you next year!!!




Merry Christmas!!!

Patrick

No comments: